As you all know, Jesse and Bogey are certified therapy dogs. I volunteer with Hospice of the Valley and visit a senior living facility every week. I have been volunteering with Jesse for well over a year now and Bogey just started visits himself. Jesse and I have really enjoyed our visits and have definitely connected with many of the patients. While I volunteer with HOV, I visit all the residents. Since day 1, I have had a favorite to visit with. It is a sweet lady who loves animals, loves petting Jesse and has been quite funny and witty. I always make a point to go to her room if she isn't in the living room of the cottage she lives in. Often she would be reading a book, or somesort of dog magazine or newspaper her daughters sent to her. Whenever our visits would be over I would say "we'll come visit again next week" and she would respond, "I sure hope so".
Well, the last few visits I have noticed her not doing as well. Due to being out of town a bit, I was unable to visit a few weeks. I went for a visit on Monday and was saddened to hear that she had been moved to a different cottage. The cottage that requires the most care. I had already visited in that cottage but decided to go back so I could pop in her room and say hello. It was very difficult to see that she was not doing well. She was unresponsive to Jesse and I and was on oxygen. I left with tears in my eyes and a lump in my throat!
I called Tuesday to speak with Kim, the woman who is in charge of activities etc. (She comes around sometimes with Jesse and I as we visit everyone.) She told me that my sweet lady isn't doing well, and that if I wanted to come back the next day for another visit, they didn't think she had long. So Jesse and I went back yesterday for one more visit. What a lucky and loved lady she is....Jesse was the 4th dog visit she had yesterday! There are two of other therapy dogs that visit at the same facility and Kim brought her dog in as well. While she was unresponsive again yesterday, I honestly believe she knew we were there and could feel Jesse as she sniffed her arm and as we put her hand on Jesse's head.
I am glad Jesse and I were able to go have another visit with her and while I wish we could have more, I am glad we got that one in because today I got a phone call that she passed away.
I have had many patients pass away. I knew when I signed up to volunteer with HOV that it would be a difficult part of the "job". I have definitely been saddened by every passing but this one has gotten to me in a way that none of the others have. I am thankful Jesse and I could get to know her and bring her some smiles! I hope we gave her something to look forward to and something to enjoy each week but she probably gave me more than I ever gave her!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I am very sorry to hear this. You are so amazing and I know you made her last few months so special and something she will take with her in her heart always.
Post a Comment