Monday, December 03, 2007

Jesse is a Therapy Dog!

Yesterday Jesse and I went out to Surprise for her therapy dog evaluation as well as her AKC Canine Good Citizen Test. I am so proud of her...she did great! She passed all the requirements with flying colors. We were able to take both tests at the same time because the Therapy Dog evaluation is basically the AKC CGC test with a few added tests. There were 11 requirements:
1-Accepting a friendly stranger (has to allow a friendly stranger to come up and talk to the handler, shake hands etc. without being aggresive or shy or overly excited)
2-Sitting politely for petting
3-Appearance and Grooming (has to allow someone to look at their feet, in their ears etc.)
4-Out for a walk (dog has to walk on a loose leash. (there can't be any tension on your leash)
5-Walking through a crowd (shows that the dog can politely move through people in public places)
6-Sit and Down on Command/staying in Place (shows that the dog will respond to the handler's commands when asked to sit and down)
7-Coming when called (dog has to sit and face the handler as they are atleast 10 feet away and when called must come directly to the handler)
8-Reaction to Another Dog (shows that the dog can behave politely around other dogs)
9-Reactions to Distractions (they drop loud things and the dog can look or be slightly startled but has to recover and not panic during this test they also added the LEAVE IT test...we had to walk by food and the dog could smell but when given the command had to leave it alone and not eat it)
10-Supervised Separation (demonstrates that the dog can be left with another person if neccessary and maintain "good manners" while the handler is out of sight)
11-Say Hello (tests the willingness of the dog to visit a person)
We can now volunteer at hospitals, nursing homes or other places. I am really excited about this and think that I will be a lot out of it and I think Jesse will enjoy it too! Bogey needs a little more work but I plan to test with him too! Wish us all luck!

No comments: