Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Christmas Oyster Roast

Our Big Christmas dinner is Christmas Eve at my parents house. Christmas day is usually a little more relaxed. This year, my parents and I went over to my sister's house for an oyster roast. I have seen them before but have never participated in one since moving here. They are very popular and done quite a bit at country clubs, church events and community events. I have learned that they are mostly done in months that have an R. (so not May,June, July or August)The oysters are heated and after about 8-10 minutes in the cooker, are dumped on the table. You then put on gloves and use a small knife or blade to get them apart from eachother and open them. Most oyster roasts then have saltine crackers and ketchup and cocktail type sauces. You just dip and swallow! Yummy! I was a little nervous and unsure about if I would like it or not. I was pleasantly surprised. Oysters that are warm, just out of the pot were yummy! Looking forward to a new tradition having started and doing it again next year!


No comments: