Tuesday, December 08, 2009

Run,Jog,Walk & Crawl

Saturday Mitzi and I drove to Las Vegas for the Las Vegas Rock and Roll 1/2 marathon. We were signed up for last years race and Mitzi had an injury so we were able to have our entries transferred into this years race. We hit the road early Saturday morning and arrived in Vegas around 12:30. We hit the expo to pick up our race packets and then hit the rodeo expo next door. (The Las Vegas rodeo was in town and it was HUGE...lots of cowboys and country music playing everywhere. (I have decided I need to "get me a cowboy" but that is another story) We had an early dinner and went early to bed so we were well rested for the race.
The race started at 6:15 and it was COLD!!! Glad at the last minute I decided to throw in a long sleeved shirt or I would have been freezing. The race itself was cool. Fireworks at the starting line, lots of people and fun to run up and down the strip. (you don't realize how long the strip is though until you run from end to end and back!) I felt good up until mile 6 or so. At mile 8 I could really feel my blisters getting bad and by mile 10 I wish someone would put me out of my misery! I am so frustrated with these darn blisters!!! I don't understand why my feet get them ALL over. Seems noone can figure it out. After trying 5 different brands of shoes, different sizes, numerous types of socks, blister stickers, blister powder, duc tape, body glide, etc. I have given up! So this was my last race. I wish I had ended on a high note but after 5, 1/2 marathons and 3, full marathons I am hanging up the running shoes!
For so long I have had this desire to be a good runner and run a race and be able to finish and be happy with my time. That desire is now gone and I am happy with what I have accomplished and am onto something else. My mind is thinking triathlon?? Not as much running and I love swimming and biking and I think the change of pace would be nice. We'll see...for now I am just going to continue doing kick boxing at the gym and if I run it will be 3 miles on the treadmill and no more!


No comments: