Saturday morning I got up bright and early to volunteer at the 12k's of Christmas event in Gilbert. I went as a volunteer with Desert Labrador Retriever Rescue. There were 3 walk/runs to participate in, 1.2k (.75 miles), 6k (3.7miles) and a 12k (7.5 miles). Since I was a volunteer with Desert Labrador Retriever Rescue and we did the 1.2k as a "team" and walked/jogged with the dogs. It was a great event and I would certainly suggest others doing it next year.
I met a fellow volunteer at ARC (The Animal Rescue Center) at 8am and we picked up two of the labs that are up for adoption. The labs that do not have homes are housed at ARC. We took Lola, a 7 month old lab and Kelso to the event. They are both beautiful black labs. I am often saddened by the fact that I can't adopt every animal that needs a home. If I didn't have three dogs of my own I would be a foster as well. Since I can't help in those two ways, I try to find other ways to help. Events like this are great. The dogs enjoyed being out and there were a lot of people who came by our booth and showed interest in the dogs. Hopefully some of them will find homes soon which will enable DLRR to just rescue more! DLRR is a wonderful rescue and is the rescue my parents got their yellow lab Casey from. I am looking forward to helping with lots of other events and also going down to ARC to take the dogs for walks and get them out of the kennels as much as possible. That was the most difficult part of the whole day was taking them back and putting them in their kennels. I cried leaving them and really had to try to be strong. I look forward to helping in anyway I can!
The great thing about this 12k's of Christmas event was they had an entire area called Santa's Pet Village and we were just one of the many rescues group there. The rescue groups included the following rescues:
Amazing Aussies, Arizona Animal Rescue&Sanctuary, Arizona Animal Welfare League, Arizona Basset Hound Rescue, Arizona Beagle Rescue, Arizona Chihuahua Rescue, Arizona Defense League, Arizona Great Pyrenees Association, Arizona Poodle Rescue, Arizona Pug Rescue, Arizona Jack Russell Rescue, Arizona Labrador Rescue, Arizona Sheltie Rescue, Arizona Happy Tails Rescue, Arizona Siberian Husky Rescue, Desert Labrador Retriever Rescue, English Springer Rescue, Friends for Life, Greyhounds of Verde Valley, Safe Haven for Animals, 2nd Chance Dog Rescue, Tranquility Trail Animal Sanctuary adn Valley Dogs.
All in all, it was a great day helping needy dogs!!

Top of the hill, looking down at the race start and pet village

Some of the beagles up for adoption from Arizona Beagle Rescue

Kelso, one of the labs I picked up and drove out to the event. He is available for adoption through DLRR.
No comments:
Post a Comment