Monday, January 24, 2011

Black Pearls

Presley

Domininque

Henry

As you all know, I have become quite the volunteer lately with Desert Labrador Retriever Rescue. I just truely love helping these precious labs and I am meeting some wonderful people who all have just as much love for dogs as I do! ( I am not the only "crazy dog lady" in this bunch!)

I love all labs and grew up with a black lab and a chocolate lab, Mac and Molly. My sister and parents both have a yellow lab, Lille and Casey and now I of course have Jesse who is a black lab. I think they are all great and whatever color, they are great dogs. However, my heart really goes out to the black labs. I have over the years heard that black dogs are harder to adopt but I have lately become more aware that it is true and that there is actually a name for this.....Black Dog Syndrome! They call the black dogs, black pearls and rescuers are really trying to get the word out that black labs and other black dogs are great dogs!!

Black dogs are at shelters longer and are euthanized more than any other color at shelters and they are often times passed over for lighter color dogs. You can read more about this at http://www.blackpearldogs.com/.
DLRR rescues a number of black labs from the shelters and I am thrilled each time I see one get adopted. My new favorite that I would take in a heartbeat if I didn't have three dogs of my own is Henry. He is a beauty and a real sweetheart!
Any of you in the hunt for a dog.....open your eyes and your heart to those black beauties!!





No comments: